Sunday, October 5, 2014


When reading the Hunger of Memories, the author talks about his first day of school.  He was standing there nervous in front of the class while his teacher introduced him to everyone.  He heard his name in English for the first time.  Rodriguez, the author, looks out the window and sees his mother upset that her child is now starting something new.  I related to this since I too was extremely nervous my first day of school and felt really upset, as most kids do.  However, most kids connection with this piece might end there, mine did not.  Rodriguez continues by saying he did not know anyone, did not speak English great and had to join a program where they would help him with English.  My connection here was my mother; she went through the exact same thing and has told me about her experiences. She told me how she would have to learn English, speak that in school then when she walked through her houses door she had to go back to speaking the language her parents raised her with.  Rodriguez mentions this in his piece that he became bilingual and had to do the same thing as my mother.  When I hear this I give people who do this so much respect.  I feel stressed with my all my tasks right now and feel very stressed if I do not understand my school work; I cannot imagine doing all this stuff while balancing learning a new language, not always understanding what my homework says, and having to be bilingual so can speak in both school and your home.  Sometimes you do not think of what others have to go through and when you finally realize this your eyes can be open and you can gain so much respect for others. 






http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBbNnjvqSOk
Yes I realize this is very corny but it shows that everyone is nervous on their first day.  You see even though he knows how famous his father is at this school, Harry’s son is still extremely nervous to start school for many reasons, would he fit in, where would he be placed, etc.  It shows everyone gets nervous on their first day of school just like Rodriguez.  Rodriguez started being different then everyone because of his language not by his nervousness.  However, everything worked out for Rodriguez. 







4 comments:

  1. I agree that a mass amount of added stress must account to bilingual individuals who have to switch back and fourth to two different languages in the same day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you completely.This person really represents what multilingual people through because I had to do the exact same thing because my mom did not speak any English. It helps keep me rooted to my native language and at the same time learn something new and exciting. However, first day of school was tough, when the only thing I can say was "yes" or "no". I imagined the same thing happened to Rodriguez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being thrown in a class or any situation and not knowing the language of the people you will be with is daunting. I would get embarrassed when I was called on in class and I did not know the answer. I can't even imagine the uncomfortably one would feel if like Rodriquez had to stand up and answer questions with not knowing the language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot even imagine starting school and learning a whole new language at such a young age. I know that many kids have huge stress and anxiety starting a new school, let alone dealing with feeling like a complete alien. These kids have to be so strong to be able to cope with that while still managing schoolwork, friends, and family.

    ReplyDelete