Saturday, October 11, 2014

Allan


The reading tells us how school is made for heterosexuals.  The author talks about how homophobia can run wild in the schools from both the students and the parents.  How teachers are even trying to include more non heterosexual books to teach the class.  For me when I was reading this I thought of my school experiences.  I started to wonder if the school system I was in was made for heterosexuals, and honestly I felt the answer was no.  I feel they never thought sexuality in our school and if teachers saw any couple displaying things such as PDA in the hall way they would tell them to stop whether they are heterosexual or not.  I feel it is not really the school’s fault but more on the students, if they accept LGBT than there will not be a problem.  I believe progress has been shown since in my school we had openly gay couples who were not given a problem and we even had a group of students make a club called “The gay straight student alliance”.  I believe kids are getting more accepting of it as time goes along just like kids became more accepting of other issues that used to be a “problem”.  In ten to fifteen years who knows where the LGBT thing will stand, but I know in schools it will be up to the students, who will be influenced by their parents who are students right now. 

I believe shows such as modern family make kids feel more accepting of people of different sexual origins, since they can see how they live and with Cam being one of the funniest characters it makes the viewers feel much more accepting of people of different sexual origins. 
This link shows the evolution of Cam and Mitchell through the years, and through the many seasons the fans have supported all they've done together from adopting a baby to eventually getting married. 

5 comments:

  1. I believe the problem isn't as prevalent when these studies were done as a law was repealed in 2000 concerning not introducing these relationships or norms in the UK but it might still be a small issue what with kids calling each other "gay" and that horrible awful "f" word sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the issue is based upon how students handle it within schools. I had the same situation where sexuality was not a large part of the school atmosphere regardless of hetero or homosexuality. However, there are schools that are not as supportive and these are the ones that need to change

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel even though more LGBT people are excepdted lately in school, there still is a lot of work that needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the parents should play a role in addressing LGBT as well as the school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes parents and the school should play a role in addressing LGBT but it can't stop there everyone needs to play a positive on judgmental role.
    side note Modern Family is too funny

    ReplyDelete