Friday, October 17, 2014

Christensen


There is no doubt in my mind that media plays a crucial factor in people’s development in live.  When we are little most of us watched Disney movies where we saw princes and princesses get into danger but in the end be magically rescued, this leaves people to believe that my special someone will come rescue me and he or she will be extremely good looking.  When people turn into preteens many girls watch teenage dramas where it can show them having multiple relationships at the same time, getting into fights, underage drinking and other factors that preteens now say “So that is what I have to do to be cool.”  We may not mean to intentionally become like the characters we see in the media but psychologically it just happens.  

            Some people argue now that the media should take a different approach to what they show on television, to me I do not agree with this.  Media is supposed to be used for one purpose, entertainment.  Honestly, if media portrayed only positive life decisions than we would not be as entertained.  People need to realize what is fiction and what is reality.  When I watch the Man of Steel I do not assume I can fly and save people from a burning oil rig because I know it is fiction.  People need to realize what happens on your television screens, does not always happen in real life.  The media will never change because it needs to keep its viewers entertained but the viewers need to learn to be themselves and not the characters they see for a half hour an hour on television. 

This picture shows that you need to be your own person and not be the person on television.  Think your own thoughts, not the ones of characters who have scripts provided for them. 

7 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCScoZ3CvKk this link shows a video of someone being controlled and not making their own decisions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you here Zach, people need to understand media for what it is, and not rely their life decisions and what not around it.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, media is just for entertainment and it should not be change. However, parents and adults should make kids question what they watch and differentiate fiction from reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with this but the problem comes with preteens who choose to ignore their parents and then make the decisions that they see on tv (underage drinking, drugs, teen pregnancies, and etc.)

      Delete
  3. I also agree with you Zach, media is for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely, but how do you tell a child to not take the media literally? Its hard to have a child watch Cinderella and then tell them that life is not really like that. I wouldn't want to be that dreamcrusher parent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree people need to be able to decipher between fiction and reality. The only problem is when the news shows some of the influential things being showed in TV shows.

    ReplyDelete